Wednesday, August 10, 2011

An Amazing Journey

August 1st, 2003

Kara and I were on an airplane with an incredible group of students from Fort Street Christian Church.  We had just taken off from Eppley Airfield in Omaha, Nebraska and were enroute to Globe, Arizona for our third short-term mission trip.  I had just finished our team devotional and began reading Oswald Chamber’s My Utmost for His Highest. 

“He comes where He commands us to leave.  If you stayed home when God told you to go because you were so concerned about your own people there, then you actually robbed them of the teaching of Jesus Christ Himself.  When you obeyed and left all the consequences to God, the Lord went into your city to teach, but as long as you were disobedient, you blocked His way.  Watch where you begin to debate with Him and put what you call your duty into competition with His commands.  If you say, ‘I know that He told me to go, but my duty is here,’ it simply means that you do not believe that Jesus means what He says.”

I turned to Kara who was sitting next to me in the plane, handed her the book and said, “Read this.  I think we are in trouble.”

Kara and I had so many excuses about why we didn’t want to move to Globe, Arizona.  We were close to all our family.  We were a part of a great church body.  We had dear friends and a great small group.  We had just purchased our first home.  And yet the call of God was so clear...to be a light in a dark world.  The field was white for harvest and yet the workers were few.  We could no longer sit by and just pray for the Lord to send workers.  At the time it seemed like a scary journey full of sacrifices.  Over the past 7 1/2 years our journey has been full of God's blessings.  What an amazing journey it has been.  I am thankful for the moments when we can pause and reflect on the call of God!

tory

No comments:

Post a Comment