Friday, April 19, 2019

Hope...thoughts on Easter weekend

On a day when it seemed all hope was lost, hope prevailed.

Hope is such a funny word. Most of the time we use the word, we cheapen its true meaning. Our gas light has been on for too many miles. We are coasting more than usual looking for the next fuel spot and we utter the simple words, “I hope I make it to the gas station!” We have big plans for the weekend. It has been a rough week and we are so excited for our escape from the busyness of our job/life/schedule. We say the words without really understanding, but completely meaning it…”I hope it doesn’t rain this weekend!”

“I hope my pants fit.” “I hope I get a raise.” “I hope my kid makes the team.” “I hope I get a good parking spot today.”

The disciples hoped Jesus was the Messiah. They gave up so much to follow him. They walked side by side with him and listened to his teachings. But somehow their view of Jesus, the Messiah, was still stuck in a political figure. They longed for the new King who would reign over Israel once again. They argued over who was the greatest…positioning themselves in the ranks. James and John asked to sit at Jesus’ right and left in the new kingdom. The disciples believed Jesus was the next King. Their hope was crushed when Jesus was crucified. They ended up in a locked room hiding in fear from the Jewish leaders.

And yet, on a day when it seemed all hope was lost, hope prevailed. This was not a cheap, egotistical hope. This hope was not a selfish cry or a self-centered wish. This was a hope that changed the disciples’ lives. This was a hope that changed eternity. This was a hope that changed my eternity. 1 Peter 1:3 “In His great mercy He has given us new birth into a LIVING HOPE through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.” (emphasis mine). The resurrection of Jesus changed everything.

Today I cling to the hope that Jesus’ death on the cross was enough to save this weary sinner. I desperately hang tight to the hope that Jesus has gone to prepare a place for me…that this world is not all there is. This deep hope changes everything.

 “Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.” Hebrews 6:18-19

On a day when it seemed all hope was lost, hope prevailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment